Bookmark and Share

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Meet Mel


There isn't a whole lot to tell about me. My name is Mel and I am 28 years old. I think I have one of the most incredible jobs in the world (I work as a personal trainer). I have some of the most incredible friends in the world and they mean more to me than words can explain. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be surrounded by such supportive and loving people. I love going to dinner, movies, and concerts with my friends. One of my favorite past times is hanging out at my family's shore house with all of my friends and family. We have huge barbeques, music playing, and laugh our butts off.

I came out as a lesbian when I was 17 years old. My family and friends were all extremely supportive of me. I am so lucky to have people in my life who love and accept me for who I am. Although my friends and family were supportive of me, there were times that I came across intolerance and cruelty. When I was in high school there was a group of boys who would throw me down flights of stairs, or push me into walls as they yelled out profanities at me. I was always so confused as to how people could be so cruel. I didn't understand it then, and I still don't now. To me love is a universal thing....it shouldn't matter who a person loves or is attracted to. The ignorance and intolerance that some people have is really sad, but I want people to realize that members of the GLBT community are no different than anyone else.



Mel is a supportive friend. We met through Grace, who did her internship last summer at the physical therapy office where Mel worked. Mel and I like talking history, eating burgers, and hiking together. She's one of the only people I know who will get up at 5:00 AM and hike with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment